Safety in the Computer Lab
Safety in the computer classroom is a priority for students, teachers, and parents. To ensure a safe computer classroom, a list of procedures has been developed and provided to you in this student safety contract. These procedures must be followed at all times. This contract is to be kept in your notebook as a constant reminder of the safety procedures.
GENERAL GUIDELINES IN COMPUTER LAB
· Please, no running or horseplay.
· Coats, bags and other items should be placed under your desks or on the coat rack. It’s easy to trip!
· Periodically glance away from the screen. Staring into a computer monitor too long will strain your eyes.
· Let an instructor know if the color scheme, font size, or other settings of your computer are causing strain on your eyes. There are many built-in ways to adjust these settings for comfort.
· Avoid long sessions of typing as they may cause repetitive stress injuries to your hands.
· Maintain good posture to ease your back.
· Keep the noise level to a minimum.
· Be aware of the fire exits and the location of this room’s fire extinguishers.
· Don’t open the computer’s power supply or monitor. There is nothing inside either that can be repaired except by a professional, but there are many things that can injure you.
Protecting the Equipment:
· Please, no food or drink near the computers!
· Always shut down the computer via Windows’ Start button
· Use a surge protector to keep excess electric power from damaging your computer
· Always have at least three copies of all your important files, in case the worse happens! Email yourself the project file. Save in your designated hard drive, USB drive, and home computer.
· Keep dust away from the computers. This can cause short circuits
Mr. Son’s Computer Lab
I, ____________________________, (student's name) have read and agree to follow all of the safety rules set forth in this contract. I understand that these procedures are necessary to insure my safety as well as the safety of others. I will cooperate to the fullest extent with my instructor and fellow students to maintain a safe lab environment. I am aware that failure to comply with these procedures may result in my removal from the activities and loss of credit for the activity.
Student Signature_____________________________________________ Date______________
Dear Parent or Guardian;
Your signature on this contract indicates that you have read this Student Safety Contract, are aware of the measures taken to insure the safety of your child in the science classroom, and will instruct your child to uphold his/her agreement to follow these rules and procedures in the laboratory.
Parent/Guardian Signature_________________________________________ Date_______________